As technology advances, more and more patients are seeking laser procedures to eliminate the unwanted effects of aging, sun damage and acne scarring on the skin, as well as a permanent solution for hair removal. Laser treatments are safe, effective procedures that require little to no downtime and allow patients to easily achieve their desired results.
Laser treatments use focused beams of light to heat and destroy old, damaged skin cells while stimulating the growth of new cells and collagen. This leaves the skin looking, younger, fuller and more refreshed. While the results of these procedures are not usually permanent and the signs of aging and sun damage will once again affect the skin, laser treatments do keep the skin looking younger than it would have without any treatment at all.
Our Laser Treatments
We provide a wide range of laser treatments to improve the overall look and feel of the skin. The type of procedure performed and the laser used for your treatment depends on your individual goals. We have many treatments available that can be customized for your individual skin, including:
- Laser Wrinkle Treatment – As we age, our skin begins to change. Wrinkles and fine lines often appear as a result of repeated facial expressions and skin laxity. These unwanted effects can fortunately be improved or even reversed through laser treatments that remove the top layer of skin, creating a refreshed, fuller appearance.
- Laser Hair Removal – Many patients, both men and women, seek laser hair removal after becoming frustrated with temporary and often painful methods such as shaving and waxing. Laser hair removal uses heat energy to destroy hair follicles and prevent hair growth for up to two years, while leaving the skin in the area undamaged.
- Laser Redness Treatment – Redness on the face often develops as a result of acne, rosacea, birthmarks, broken blood vessels, sun damage and more. Treatment for facial redness uses a Diolite laser to heat and destroy blood vessels and improve the appearance of the skin.
- Melasma Treatment – Melasma is a common skin condition in which patches of skin on the face turn brown. The most commonly affected areas are the cheeks, bridge of the nose, forehead and upper lip. Melasma mostly affects women and its causes include sun exposure and hormonal changes resulting from pregnancy or birth control. Laser treatment is effective for reducing this pigmentation and evening out the skin tone.
- Stretch Mark Treatment – Stretch marks are a common, though unwanted, side effect of pregnancy. Laser procedures can greatly minimize the appearance of stretch marks by stimulating collagen production and tightening the skin in the area.
Laser Skin Treatment Procedure
Our laser procedures for the treatment of redness, wrinkles and hair removal are performed in the office with or without topical anesthesia, although a cooling gel may also be applied to the treated area. Most patients report mild discomfort during the procedure, and it is tolerated well. The entire procedure takes about 10 to 30 minutes to perform, depending on the size and location of the treated area.
After treatment, patients may experience redness and peeling for several days as the skin heals. You can return to work and other normal activities during this time, and can apply makeup to camouflage any unwanted side effects. The duration of these side effects can vary depending on the type of treatment performed and the patient’s individual skin.
The results from our laser procedures vary depending on the type of treatment performed. Most patients will require multiple treatment sessions in order to achieve their desired results. Some will notice significant results after just one treatment. Your doctor will decide how many treatments are right for you, and if additional touch-up treatments are needed at a later date.
Risks of Laser Skin Treatment
Although laser skin treatment is considered safe for most patients and is typically performed with no long-term complications or side effects, there are certain risks associated with any type of procedure. While they are considered rare, some of these risks may include infection, scarring, redness, pigmentation, acne or milia (tiny white bumps on the skin). These risks are usually mild and go away on their own within a few days.
To learn more about our laser procedures and to find out which treatment is best for you, we encourage you to call our office to schedule a consultation.